Thursday, May 29, 2014

Masea Elephant Camp - Chiangmai

I'll start out by saying that I am humiliated to have given my money to such an awful, sad place.
I have always wanted to ride an elephant, and after visiting the wonderful Elephant Nature Park I thought that there was a way to ride an elephant without it being painful and torturous. My friend and I had a driver for the day who brought us to this elephant camp. I think it cost 600 baht to enter but I can't remember exactly. The second we entered I immediately saw chains around the elephants, and "trainers" with long sharp hooks to stab the elephants with. The elephants were not like the ones that I had seen at the Elephant Nature park; they were underfed, tired, and performing tricks for the people. I had an awful feeling in my stomach but still kept going through the camp. The "show" was even worse. Baby elephants were being ridden and they were playing soccer, basketball and painting pictures. Many seemed uninterested, with sad eyes and painful scars on their ears from being stabbed. My friend and I couldn't watch the whole show it was too sad. We then went to the elephant riding place were we got on a 52 year old exhausted elephant and I immediately regretted it. The trainer riding only with us was only 3 days in and was a young, rude, insensitive guy. Our elephant was tired and distracted and I felt sick to my stomach when the trainer hit his head. We cut our 1hr ride down to 20 minutes and I ran off to go buy food for the elephant but when I ran back he already had 2 more people on his back and the trainer wouldn't come back so the hungry elephant could hit. I was able to feed 3 elephants some bananas but that barely made me feel any better. I left feeling sad, embarrassed, and regretful.
Please avoid this camp at all costs and give your money to the Elephant Nature Park instead. Trip advisor shows many negative reviews as well of Masea Elephant Camp. This place is depressing and abusive and displays outright animal cruelty.

No comments:

Post a Comment